Monday, July 14, 2008

CARGO Better-Than-Waterproof Mascara: does it live up to the hype?

I don't remember what the first waterproof mascara I ever purchased was, but I do remember its lackluster performance. I rubbed my eyes, and it flaked. I teared slightly, and it smudged all over. I wasn't able to fix it immediately at the time and was forced to walk around with raccoon eyes for about an hour - not a very glamorous look.

Things have changed since then, and Bourjois Maxi Frange Waterproof Mascara has been my go-to for quite some time now. However, I kept hearing about CARGO's new, ambitiously titled Better-Than-Waterproof Mascara and eventually gave in to my curiosity. I applied a fresh coat prior to playing three hours of tennis in 90-degree weather today, not expecting it to put up a good fight with my sweaty, oily lids.

Imagine my surprise when I returned from tennis with nary a flake, smudge, or smear. CARGO has outdone themselves; I'm officially a convert. Don't get me wrong, Maxi Frange was an excellent mascara, but I found that with intensive exercise it would flake and smudge a little, irritating my eyes. No such thing with CARGO.

"So it must be difficult to remove," you're probably thinking.

Not at all! Better-Than-Waterproof comes off easily in tubes with warm water, kind of like Blinc Kiss Me Mascara. It was great in the volumizing and lengthening department, too - not as good with lengthening as my (current) favorite, Lancome Fatale, but still very good - and once again, the staying power was fantastic.

CARGO Better-Than-Waterproof Mascara is available at Sephora for $20.

No comments: